Yvonne Freckmann is a composer, pianist, and sound artist based in Madrid, Spain. She was awarded a U.S. Fulbright Grant to study composition at the Royal Conservatoire The Hague in the Netherlands in 2014, completed her second master’s there. She recently released the UNDA Cellotrónica Album with cellist Clara Rivière featuring original works for cello and electronics. Developed over four years, the first performance of the entire collection was at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas in April 2019, and the CD was released in May 2020.
Current endeavours include writing music for solo, ensembles, music theater, location-based performance, and sound walks. Her newest large-scale work for mixed quartet and field recordings, Nest, was commissioned by SOLI Chamber Ensemble and premiered in October 2019.
As Artist in Residence Krems in Austria during June 2018, Yvonne composed for and collaborated in an exhibition and cello performance with Clara Rivière (cello), Adriana Affortunati (visual arts) and Jana Dabac (architecture). During her time in the Netherlands, Yvonne performed with Dutch windmills in a music theater collaboration The voice of the windmill, for windmill, harp and wind, with Iris van der Ende (theater maker/harpist). They presented in Gaudeamus Muziekweek in September 2018 in Utrecht. Their collaboration Onder de brug (Under the bridge) was premiered in Over Het IJ Festival and came to two other exciting bridge locations in Amsterdam for the Grachtenfestival.
Another project for all of the senses, Zvov Sensory, has toured in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark and Israel, enchanting blindfolded audiences with Zvov trio. She has presented work with these groups in Over Het IJ Festival, Cultura Nova Festival, Gaudeamus Muziekweek, and Aarhus Jazz Festival. Back home in Texas on the theme of homecoming Yvonne was commissioned by Musical Bridges Around the World in San Antonio, Texas to compose a trio “Bridge” on the occasion of their 20th anniversary.
Yvonne earned a Master of Music in composition from the Royal Conservatoire The Hague as well as from the University of Louisville as a Bomhard Fellow, and her Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance and Composition from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.
- 2020 Audiosphere – Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid
- 2019 MicroSound @ MicroTeatro Madrid
- 2018 MUSLab Madrid, Spain
- 2018 Gaudeamus Muziekweek
- 2018 Grachtenfestival Amsterdam
- 2018 Over Het IJ Festival
- 2017 Gaudeamus Muziekweek “Senses Working Overtime”, the Netherlands
- 2017 Cultura Nova Festival, the Netherlands
- 2017 Aarhus Jazz Festival, Aarhus, Denmark
- 2017 Kunstsymposium Oogsten in Margraten, the Netherlands
- 2016 Mmabolela Field Recording Workshop in South Africa
- 2016 Mekudeshet “Rustling” Festival with Zvov trio in Herzel Forest, Jerusalem
- 2015 Conlon Foundation Disklavier Workshop Utrecht, Netherlands
- 2015 LaBO#5 Multimedia Workshop Antwerp, Belgium
- 2014 Darmstadt Internationale Ferienkurse für Neue Musik, Darmstadt, Germany
- 2014 SEAMUS National Conference in Middletown, CT – Clarinetist Dylan Lloyd performed Switch for clarinet & live electronics
- 2013 UnCaged Toy Piano Festival in New York, NY – Pianist Kathy Supové premiered Toycycle
- 2013 New Music Festival in Louisville, KY – Dr. Krista Wallace-Boaz performed Firebox for piano solo
- 2013 New Fangled Opera Festival in New Orleans, LA
- 2013 Thompson Street Opera Company Summer Season in Louisville, KY
- 2012 New Music Festival at the University of Louisville – Mr. Sidney King performed Dance Suite for double bass.
- 2012 Electronic Music Midwest – performance of Animal Opus
- 2012 10th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music in San Francisco – performed my piano solo, Teufelstanz, as well as Hong-Da Chin‘s flute/piano piece Longing for Home.
- 2012 Brevard Music Center
- 2011 Electrogals Festival: Gals Gone Wired in Portland, OR
- 2009 Czech-American Summer Music Institute in Prague
- 2009 New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival
- 2008 SCI Student National Conference