Yvonne Freckmann is a composer, sound artist, and pianist. Current interests include transcription and integration of field recordings into her concert music, location-based performance, graphic scores, sound walks, and further collaborations inspired by her colleagues. Ongoing projects include a windmill music collaboration De stem van de molen / The voice of the windmill with Iris van der Ende and Zvov Sensory tours with Zvov trio. Furthermore, cross-over research to make music theater performances during Artist in Residence at Werkplaats K in Kerkrade with her group Klanktheater and local visual artists has fascinating potential. Yvonne was commissioned in 2017 by Musical Bridges Around the World in San Antonio, Texas to compose a trio on the occasion of their 20th anniversary. It was a weekend of reunion concert “Child Prodigies, Where are they now?” at the beginning of October 2017. Performers Nancy Zhou, violin, Veronica Williams, mezzo-soprano, Daniel Anastasio, piano.
Yvonne was awarded a Fulbright Grant to study composition at the Royal Conservatoire The Hague in the Netherlands in 2014-2015 and completed her second master’s there. In November 2016 she spent two weeks listening and recording sound in the South African savannah in the fantastic “Mmabolela Field Recording Workshop” with Francisco Lòpez and Barbara Ellison. Yvonne earned a MM in composition from the Royal Conservatoire The Hague (2017) studying with Yannis Kyriakides and Peter Adriaansz, a MM in composition from the University of Louisville as a Bomhard Fellow (2013), studying with Drs. Marc Satterwhite (composition) and Krzysztof Wolek and Allison Ogden (computer music), as well as piano with Dr. Dror Biran. She earned her B.M. in Piano Performance and Composition from Trinity University (2010) in San Antonio, Texas, where her principal teachers were Dr. Carolyn True (piano), and Dr. Timothy Kramer (composition). She also enjoys cycling, swing dancing, and writing.
For an insider’s view in writing and photographs check out her blog.
- 2017 Gaudeamus Muziekweek “Senses Working Overtime”, the Netherlands
- 2017 Cultura Nova Festival, the Netherlands
- 2017 Aarhus Jazz Festival, Aarhus, Denmark
- 2017 Kunstsymposium Oogsten in Margraten, the Netherlands
- 2016 Mmabolela Field Recording Workshop in South Africa
- 2016 Mekudeshet “Rustling” Festival with Zvov trio in Herzel Forest, Jerusalem
- 2015 Conlon Foundation Disklavier Workshop Utrecht, Netherlands
- 2015 LaBO#5 Multimedia Workshop Antwerp, Belgium
- 2014 Darmstadt Internationale Ferienkurse für Neue Musik, Darmstadt, Germany
- 2014 SEAMUS National Conference in Middletown, CT – Clarinetist Dylan Lloyd performed Switch for clarinet & live electronics
- 2013 UnCaged Toy Piano Festival in New York, NY – Pianist Kathy Supové premiered Toycycle
- 2013 New Music Festival in Louisville, KY – Dr. Krista Wallace-Boaz performed Firebox for piano solo
- 2013 New Fangled Opera Festival in New Orleans, LA
- 2013 Thompson Street Opera Company Summer Season in Louisville, KY
- 2012 New Music Festival at the University of Louisville – Mr. Sidney King performed Dance Suite for double bass.
- 2012 Electronic Music Midwest – performance of Animal Opus
- 2012 10th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music in San Francisco – performed my piano solo, Teufelstanz, as well as Hong-Da Chin‘s flute/piano piece Longing for Home.
- 2012 Brevard Music Center
- 2011 Electrogals Festival: Gals Gone Wired in Portland, OR
- 2009 Czech-American Summer Music Institute in Prague
- 2009 New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival
- 2008 SCI Student National Conference